Cuba and it’s religious variety
ANNUAL EVENT : In the week of 8th September each year, the anniversairy of the Virgin of Caridad del Cobre, guardian of the island. The most important ceremony and pilgrimage of the island.
9 days / 8 nights
The highlights of this circuit:
- Baracoa, the first city in America founded by Christopher Columbus.
- Santiago, its environment and its cultural and religious mosaic.
- The importance of the Virgen de la Caridad, the Patroness of Cuba: her history, apparition and miracles.
- Discovery of Afro-Cuban religions (Santeria)
- Discovery of various cults: cult of the Virgen, cult of the dead, cult of the music, cult of the plants and of nature.
- Discovery of Afro-Cuban divinities: the Orishas.
- Ceremonies and rituals not covered in mass tourism.
- Conference on the sacred link between music and religion.
- Renowned tour guides who are French speaking, teachers, anthropologists, priests and babalawos.
- Dinner and lodging with locals.
Discover an unexplored part of Cuba: experience major religious ceremonies away from tourist hubs; pay homage to the Patroness of Cuba, Our Lady of Charity; discover African divinities of the Santeria; learn about the merging of catholic saints and African gods; take in the culture of the santeros and other followers of secret societies (los Palos, Abakua), familiarize yourself with their philosophy and world visions; learn to recognize the importance of the white cloths and coloured necklaces of different meanings (peace, love, friendship, death, the right path); attend secret meetings; learn the significance of offerings; get familiar with the language and exuberant dances reminiscent of trances, and so on.